Friday 1 March 2013

Link between essay and production

The basic idea for the video came from a 1966 novel, 'The Nightmare' by Babits. He had this idea of a shared soul, in other words,  the case of one person waking in up in a different body every morning, and then falling back into the first one every night when he falls asleep. The theme of the postmodern simulacra, therefore losing the ability of distinguishing reality from dreams is  linked with the films I discussed in my essay, such as Inception. My biggest problem became, that the story I chose hasn't been visualised before, therefore I had very few leads and principles I could follow. I decided to make a free adaptation, which breaks the chains of the original historical background. I was also trying to grab a more feminine side of the story, taking Sucker Punch as a main example. I kept the idea of the dead heroine addressing the audience informally in an opening voice over. However, I chose slower pace editing with less action involved in the plot, so the opening sequence leads all attention to the two main characters. The intention was to create confusion in the audience through the mismatching of the casualty of the mise-en-scène and the surprisingly serious subject matter of the voice over. The genre floats between drama, sci-fi and psychological horror, which hybridization reinforces the postmodern element.

No comments:

Post a Comment